The very name of the country, Italy, is synonymous with delicious Italian food. The Italian delicacies are renowned across the globe. Delicious pizza and pasta are the signature dishes of the country. But, Italian cuisine is not limited to these only. You have a finite choice when it comes to having a meal in Italy but you cannot try everything. Thus, here is a list that helps you in narrowing down your search for the iconic meals. Let’s explore the gastronomical delights of the city with us.
List of the Famous Foods in Italy
Do you want to enjoy the literal taste of Italy? Then read further and mark them on your must-have cuisine’s list while in Italy.
- Risotto: It is a delicious short-grain rice dish that is cooked in broth and contains a generous amount of butter and wine. The dish contains meat/ seafood/ poultry, beans, vegetables, and cheese. There is a wide range of risotto available in Italy.
- Pasta: The two most iconic dishes of pasta are spaghetti bolognese and creamy carbonara topped with some delicious parmesan cheese.
- Carbonara: This dish contains pasta and bacon that is prepared in a delicious white sauce. The traditional carbonara is prepared with eggs, cream, and pancetta. Rome takes pride in the origin of this dish.
- Pizza: The best pizzas are available in Naples. However, you can enjoy pizza anywhere in Italy as it tastes amazing. The delicious pizzas are baked in wood or coal-fired ovens. You can have toppings of your choice but the crust of the pizza remains in the traditional hand-tossed thin style.
- Lasagna: It is one of the iconic dishes of Italy. It contains wide, flat pasta noodles, ragù, béchamel sauce, and cheese.
- Focaccia: It is one of the delicious and favored bread in Italy. The bread is often served open-faced along with different types of toppings like cheese, olives, zucchini, etc.
- Cannoli: The origin of cannoli is attributed to Sicily. It is a sweet dessert that looks like a tube like pastry, which is deep fried and filled with sweetened ricotta and then finally dusted with icing sugar.
- Seadas: This is a perfect delight for those who have a sweet tooth. This delicious Sardinian pastry contains a perfect combination of sweet and savory ingredients. It can be eaten as an appetizer or dessert.
- Gelato: Gelato is an Italian dessert that looks like ice cream but tastes way different from it. It is creamier, tastier, and healthier. Natural gelato is the best one to have while in Italy. Gelato was originated in Sicily.
- Tiramisu: A delicious dessert, tiramisu is a soft after-dinner sweet dish that contains sweetened mascarpone cheese and coffee-soaked ladyfingers.
List of Famous Drinks in Italy
- Coffee: Italian coffee is something really different. It is not similar to the usual ones. Also, Italians love to have an espresso after a meal to settle the stomach.
- Digestivo: This is a digestive drink that is usually enjoyed after a meal by Italians to settle the stomach. This drink is prepared using limoncello, amaretto, Amaro, grappa, and cynar.
- Limoncello: Native of Amalfi Coast, Limoncello is Italy’s renowned digestivi or after-dinner drink. This bright-yellow colored drink is made using immersing the lemon zest in alcohol till the oil is released and then sugar syrup is added.
- Spritz: Another Italy’s favorite drink is spritz. The drink is prepared using sparkling Prosecco wine along with a dash of liqueur like bitter Campari or the orange-flavored Aperol. The drink is served with ice and an orange slice.
- Chianti: This is a Tuscany wine that is very famous in Italy and all over the world. In order to ensure the authenticity of the real Chianti, check for the black rooster symbol on the label.
However, there are endless dishes and drinks you can find in Italy but the above mentioned are the ones that you cannot afford to miss.