When you hear the name ‘Ladakh’, the first thing that strikes your mind is the scenic beauty of the place and another thing is the bike ride to reach there. But, this is the common information that every person knows whether he went to Ladakh or not. What else do you know about this region? Or How Well Do You Know Ladakh? If you do not have an answer to these questions then you need to read further. Let’s explore what you don’t know about ‘The Land Of High Passes’.
Ladakh – The Meaning Behind The Name
In the local language, Ladakh implies many passes (La= Pass, Dakh= Many). This place is home to numerous highest mountains and the passes are the tallest one in the entire world. Thus, it is named as ‘The Land Of High Passes’. The region has around 20 passes and some of the major ones are:
1. Zoji La: This is known as the most daring pass for those who are in love with Mother Nature. It is around 11,757 feet above sea level and a very popular tourist attraction. The pass lies on the National Highway, known as the Srinagar-Leh highway, which connects Ladakh with the rest of India. The pass offers a stunning picturesque view as it remains laden with snow most of the times.
2. Khardung La: This pass needs no introduction as it is the well-known world’s highest motorable road. It leads to the Siachen Glacier and Nubra Valley. Surrounded by cliffs and walls of ice all around, this pass is a must visit.
3. Chang La: This pass is located at an elevation of around 17585 feet above the see level. Travelling through Chang La pass will take you to the beautiful Pangong Tso Lake.
4. Tanglang La: The journey to this pass is just like a dream. To reach this place, you need to cross the legendry Gata Loops.
Adventure At Its Best!
Ladakh is a region for adventure enthusiasts. There are numerous amazing adventures that will quench the thirst of the adventure seekers. Some of the adventures are:
1. Mountain Biking: Ladakh is simply a ‘Biker’s Paradise’. But, it is also a destination for mountain bike cycling. Those who love to paddle away across the slopes can choose Ladakh to relieve their passion.
2. Ice Hockey: Have you ever heard of playing hockey on ice? Yes, you can enjoy the game of ice hockey on some of the ponds and lakes of Ladakh, wherever allowed.
3. River Rafting: Known as an adventurous sport, river rafting is a preferred sport of every adventure enthusiast. Leh-Ladakh is the best destination to have the best river rafting experience.
4. Trekking: The mountaineering enthusiasts can sign up for the trekking adventure in Ladakh. You will be able to explore the heritage and culture of the region while scaling high passes. You can enjoy trekking in Stok Kangri trek, Markha valley trek, Indus valley trek, Nubra valley trek, and Chadar Trek.
5. Jeep Safari: After Mountain biking, another famous activity in Ladakh is jeep safari. Explore the rarest part of Ladakh by signing up for the jeep safari tours. They let you explore the vivid landscapes such as the Zanskar valley, Tsomoriri lake, Nubra valley, Pangong lake, etc.
6. Camel Riding: Another amusing activity in Ladakh is camel safari. Riding on a double-humped Bactrian camel while witnessing the surrounding beautiful landscapes is an unforgettable experience.