“The Land Of Happiness”, “The Land of the Thunder Dragon”, or “The Druk Yul” are some of the amazing names attributed to the beautiful Buddhist Kingdom, Bhutan. This country is a perfect amalgamation of the steep mountains, tranquil valleys, awe-inspiring landscapes, subtropical plains, and astonishing flora and fauna. Thus, it is considered as one of the best and most preferable getaways for all types of travelers alike. Above and beyond the natural scenery, Bhutan is enclosed by a strong sense of culture and tradition.
The Kingdom of Bhutan
Situated on the Himalayas’ eastern edge, Bhutan is a country that is cloaked in a distinct mystery and magic of its own. Many tourists unravel the beauty of this majestic land every year. But, only a few of them plan their trip beforehand. Here are some of the important things that you should know before visiting Bhutan:
1. About Flights: Flights to Bhutan largely depend on the weather conditions, which are quite unpredictable. Flights usually do not operate at night or in poor weather conditions in Bhutan.
2. Visiting Punakha Dzong: The most popular destination of Bhutan is Punakha Dzong (Pungthang Dewachen Phodrang). It is regarded as “The Place of Happiness”. Being one of the most awe-inspiring dzongs of the country, you cannot miss visiting this place. It is strategically placed between Pho Chu and Mo Chu rivers. Please note that you are required to wear an appropriate dress before entering a Dzong, which means your arms and legs should be covered properly.
3. The Tiger Nest Monastery: This place is a sacred Buddhist site, located at 10,000 ft. above sea level. As it is beautifully set on a mountain cliff, you need to climb 900 meters up to the hill. So, do remember to wear durable hiking boots and hiking poles as they support your foot and knees. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated during the hike
4. Gangtey Valley: You should not miss the Gangtey Valley of Bhutan. You can join the trek after stepping into an extensive field exclusive of trees.
5. Guided Tours: To travel around Bhutan, you need the assistance of a local guide. This is necessary for understanding the place and connecting with the locals.
6. Bhutanese Food: When you are in Bhutan, you must try the famous dishes of the country.
- Ema datshi that includes rice and spicy chilies having a topping of a delicious cheese sauce
- Kewa datshi that is made using sliced potatoes and cheese along with chilies
- Shakam Paa is made using dried beef, chilies, and radish.
- Dumplings and momos are available throughout Bhutan in both steamed and fried forms.
You can also try fried fern stalks or appetizing yak curry.
7. Famous Beverages: After dishes, you should try the famous beverages.
- Ara is a local drink that is made using alcohol and the surprising fact about it is that it’s hot.
- Butter tea or Suja is a differently flavored tea that you should definitely try. It does not taste like the Indian tea rather tastes like sweet or salty flavored light porridge.
Bhutan has different types of local liquors and each of them tastes different.
There is a lot to explore in Bhutan making it a must-visit place for every traveler. This is the reason why Bhutan is considered incredible even after having larger neighbors.